Individuals with the disease of addiction often have co-occurring personality disorders. The presence of these co-occurring personality disorders can make treatment for substance use more challenging. Successfully overcoming addiction and avoiding relapse means dealing with the personality disorder first. Hanley Center at Origins offers exceptional treatment options.
We understand that not everyone with a personality disorder also has a substance use disorder. That’s why our Residential Mental Health Program features a dedicated space separate from the rest of Hanley Center. Our program has its own 24/7 nursing and medical care unit to enhance your privacy and confidentiality. As you recover from a personality disorder, you’ll have access to massage facilities, acupuncture, physical therapies, a walking trail, a tranquil healing garden, and a pool on the main Hanley Center campus.
Recognizing Personality Disorders
Understanding personality disorders as mental health conditions is key to treatment. They can range in intensity from severe to mild. The extra difficulty arises as many people with personality disorders don’t recognize that their thoughts and feelings feel normal.
Most experts agree that childhood experiences and genetics are factors, although a single cause of personality disorders is difficult to pinpoint. Since the brain is constantly changing during childhood as it grows, the widely accepted theory is that specific experiences trigger chemical reactions in the brain that may lead to such disorders.
MENTAL HEALTH DISORDERS
Categorization of Personality Disorders
- Cluster A: Characterized by odd, eccentric thinking or behavior, this category includes paranoid personality disorder, schizoid personality disorder, and schizotypal personality disorder.
- Cluster B: Characterized by dramatic, overly emotional, or unpredictable thinking or behavior, this category includes histrionic, narcissistic, antisocial, and borderline personality disorder.
- Cluster C: Characterized by anxious, fearful thinking or behavior, this category includes avoidant personality disorder, dependent personality disorder, and obsessive-compulsive personality disorder.
Individualized Personality Disorder Treatment
Every category and type of personality disorder requires a unique method of treatment specific to its characteristics. Additionally, each person responds in their own way, so physicians and clinicians must be adaptable to the needs of each patient.
The Hanley treatment team understands this and is ready to help you achieve a proper diagnosis.
- Physical exam: Our Hanley Center medical team will conduct a thorough and complete physical exam that includes a series of in-depth questions about your symptoms, lab tests, and other screenings.
- Psychiatric evaluation: Our Center for Brain Recovery team will discuss with you your thoughts, feelings, and behavior and may include diagnostic testing, working alongside to evaluate and help you design a plan for healing thoroughly.
- Treatment planning: Together, our therapists, psychologists, doctors, and nurses will tailor an individualized treatment plan specific to your diagnosis.
Personality Disorders and Addiction
People often use drugs and alcohol to help mask the symptoms of a personality disorder without an awareness of their mental health condition. Without knowing their need to seek treatment, they try to manage the symptoms on their own. A cutting-edge dual diagnosis program like the one offered at Hanley Center can help patients overcome the root cause of addiction.
Hanley Center’s multidisciplinary team has a 35-year legacy of quality dual diagnosis care, featuring fundamental techniques, clinical perspectives, and therapeutic modalities including:
- Medication management
- Medical detox
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT)
- Psychiatric interventions
- Coping skills education
- Mindfulness and meditation training
- Group therapies
- Continuing care planning
Contact Hanley Center
We are dedicated to helping our patients achieve lifelong, sustainable, and complete recovery. We know that sobriety is possible for everyone, especially through evidence-based techniques that restore mental, physical, and spiritual health. Our Center for Brain Recovery provides effective, cutting-edge care that enacts real, lasting change for our patients.
Today is the day you break the cycle of addiction.
Hanley Center: Most Insurance Accepted
Address: 933 45th Street
West Palm Beach, FL 33407